Today's #FoodieFriday is from Wendi Shipley! Thank you for sharing this TASTY dish with us, Wendi! This is a great weekend recipe---simple and easy enough to make for a small or larger group! Tangy and flavorful, but not too spicy. (This recipe IS kid tested AND approved!!!)
1 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Minced Garlic
1 Minced Jalapeño
1 Cup of Quinoa
1 Cup Vegetable Broth (We use Seitenbacher!)
1 Can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
1 Can of Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes (14 oz.)
1 Can of Corn Kernels (optional!)
1 TSP Chili Powder
1/2 TSP Cumin
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
1 Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and diced
Juice of 1 Lime
2 TBSP Fresh Cilantro Leaves, Chopped
(After making the recipe, we all agreed some onion was missing! We'd recommend adding some chopped fresh onion, or even dried for extra CRUNCH!)
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic and jalapeño, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant (about 1 minute).
3. Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is cooked through (about 20 minutes).
5. Stir in avocado, lime juice, and cilantro. Serve warm!
We dipped baked chips into the chile, but it is great on it's own! Totally beat that Mexican takeout craving for us!
Have a wonderful, safe, and HEALTHY weekend!